The charges against the accused stem from Mumbere’s arrest on November 27th, 2016 following a raid by the Uganda People’s Defense Forces on his Rwenzururu Kingdom palace in Kasese District as they were allegedly hunting for terrorists who for many years were terrorizing the region.
On Tuesday, the Kingdom Spokesperson, John Thawite issued a statement indicating that he spoke to Mumbere, who assured him that he was healthy and fully in charge of the monarchy's activities. In the Lukhonzo statement, Mumbere told the leaders that he was very strong and fit to break even a rock.
In 2011, the institution introduced certificates that were only issued to girls who are above 18 years. Girls who are planning to get married would have to register first with the Kingdom’s cultural department.
Ms. Hellen Masika, the deputy executive director of Microfinance support Center-MSC, says that the cultural Institution was given special consideration given the multiple challenges including conflicts and disasters that have affected its economy.
OBR had looked set to celebrate its first coronation anniversary in 5 years since the arrest of Mumbere when the Kingdom prime minister Joseph Kule Muranga announced last week that the cultural leader had called for coronation activities.
This is the first time the institution is celebrating its coronation anniversary since the arrest of Mumbere. Mumbere is currently facing treason, terrorism and murder charges arising from the November 27, 2016, military attack on his palace which left more than 100 people killed.
According to OBR leaders led by Prime Minister Joseph Kule Muranga, many of the leaders have not been supportive of the agenda to rebuild the Institution’s trust among the community and the government.