Initially, the nearest secondary school for the Ik was situated about 70 kilometres away. As a result, many children from the Ik community dropped out of school without completing the secondary education cycle.
The land measuring about 649 acres was donated to Bishop Tucker Theological College in 1939 by the family of the late Ham Mukasa. The donation was endorsed by Governor and it was authenticated, as a freehold facility. In 2010, the Church of Uganda transferred the land to UCU Holdings Ltd as part of efforts to build an endowment under the university.