This morning, a team of counter-terrorism police personnel rushed to Igenge village to assemble the fragments to ascertain the source of the projectile. The officers recovered two oval-shaped metallic pieces believed to be part of the fragments released by the projectile from the Bugembe prisons compound and Igenge village.
The Deputy RCC Peter Banya says the suspects were on security’s wanted the list for the past two years and their arrest was meant to serve as a relief to the affected communities, who had endlessly filed complaints against them. However, their "peaceful escape" without any of the cells guards firing to scare them off raises suspicion of an inside job.
The suspects went on the streets on Friday and Saturday to protest operations against illegal power connections in the areas of Bugembe. They lit old tyres in the middle of the Jinja-Iganga highway, affecting traffic and businesses along the highway.
Abbey Ngako, the Kiira region police spokesperson said the youthful gangsters are far more dangerous than they look and he described the exhibits so far recovered from their homes, which include house breaking tools and narcotics.
Nelson Shekanabo, one of the victims says that they identified their attackers through a suspects’ parade at Jinja central police station but they are surprised that they have spent more than two weeks in police cells without appearing in court.
According to the traffic and road safety regulations, a driver of a vehicle is required to exercise extra care in approaching and traversing rail crossings and apply reasonable speed to enable him or her to stop if circumstances so require.