Brian Kisembo, the Covid-19 Incident Manager in Kabarole and Fort Portal City says over 200 people have contracted the virus in the two areas even though 90 have since recovered. On Monday, the Ministry of Health confirmed 55 new cases in Kabarole, which is the highest number that has ever been recorded in the district.
Murungi Monica, the Ibaale HC II in charge, notes that at on several occasions they have been forced to use their own money to buy things like gloves and masks because they last received a consignment from National Medical Stores -NMS about two months ago.
Dr. Alex Adaku, the Director of Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital, says that even though the workers are entitled to day-offs; they will need to review them the duty rosters such that those who have been getting more days off can have less for purposes of improving service delivery.
Kabarole Deputy Resident District Commissioner, Festus Bandeeba, says that they had initially planned to use the money to buy relief food for vulnerable people in the district. He says accounting officers in various Sub counties and town councils had already submitted lists of the beneficiaries but they were asked to deposit the money on the consolidated funds account.
According to Hamada Mayanja, the father to Kakwezi and Mbabazi, the Kaliba family, Mitala’s father and the two parliamentary staff met in a closed-door meeting at Mountains of the Moon Hotel in Fort Portal to discuss an out-of-court settlement since the families of the victims were already pursuing the case.
According to the hospital director, Dr Alex Adeko, the health facility ran out of masks at the beginning of this week due to their high demand by the health workers who are handling overwhelming numbers of patients from the eight districts in the Tooro sub-region.