The deceased has been only identified as Kumakech, a fisherman attached to Mbegu landing site in Kabaale Sub county Hoima district. His other colleague who survived the boat accident is only identified as Opio.
Patrick Okello, a resident of Mbegu landing site in Hoima district, says they received information from DR Congo indicating that 8 bodies of the boat accident victims were recovered from the lake on Monday evening by Congolese fishermen.
The occupants of the boat allegedly sneaked out of the country and crossed to Mukambu in the Democratic Republic of Congo for the burial of their relative, who died on Saturday. The boat capsized during their return journey.
The boat was sailing from Kyenyanja landing site in Kabwoya sub-county to Kyakapere landing site in Kyangwali sub-county. Onboard were some of the people forcefully evicted by Uganda peoples Defence forces-UPDF soldiers from Kyenyanja landing site which is said to be one of the illegal landing sites in the area.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police Spokesperson told Uganda Radio Network on Wednesday afternoon that the deceased was fishing with his colleague, John Kyaligonza where a hippo attacked their boat causing it to overturn and capsize.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police spokesperson told Uganda Radio network this evening that search for the remaining bodies is ongoing while the survivors are receiving treatment at various health facilities on Ndaiga landing site.
The boat was carrying more than 60 footballers and fans from Fofo landing site in Buseruka Sub County to Runga landing site in Kigorobya Sub County for a friendly football match when the tragedy occurred. It capsized a few meters from Fofo landing site after setting off killing at least 30 people.
Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda, the Kira Municipality MP, said whenever something bad occurs in Uganda, government is quick to look a scapegoat. Ssemujju notes that the K-Palm accident was just another indicator to government that all isnt well on Ugandan waters.
Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Jacob Oulanyah, tasked government to avail a progress report on the implementation and utilization of 50.4 billion shillings million loan provided for maritime communication on Lake Victoria.
The survivors who have been rescued so far include, Francis Senkeezi, Farooq Muzimba, Andrew Luziba, Joseph Kirimenzi, Mark Sseremba, Freeman Kiyimba, David Wasajja, Brian Jjuuko, Irene Namubiru, Iryna Namutebi, Justin Tashobya and one only identified as Twesigye, among others.
The boat, that was carrying the Christians among them, men, women and children, was hit by a strong wind soon after setting off from Kiryamboga landing site. It was also loaded with tents and plastic chairs according to Pastor Julius Orombi an eye witness.
Albertine Region Police Spokesman Julius Hakiza says the eight bodies were retrieved from the water by police marine unit and local divers on Saturday night. He says they are still searching for the remaining two bodies.
The number of dead bodies retrieved from Lake Albert following the Saturday morning boat accident has reached 106 dead. There is little hope of finding anymore survivors. The boat was transporting Congolese refugees.
Saiga identifies those missing as brothers; Joseph Ssebale aged 18, Ziwa Batulumayo, 22, Godfrey Kiwanuka aged 21 and Peterson Mukasa 18.The four brothers had been sent by their mother, Aisha Nabukenya to collect her business merchandise from Sonsio landing site.