General Sultan Makenga, M23 Military leader on Wednesday confirmed in a brief tweet the capture of the three villages.
Some of FARDC soldiers on frontline in Rutshuru territory
Three more villages have fallen in the hands of the March 23 Movement (M23) rebels following the renewed government troops in the eastern region of Rutshuru territory, North Kivu province. The fighting resumed on Wednesday last week in Kabingo and Rubavu villages in the Busanza groupings following a month-long ceasefire.
The fighting in Rumangabo grouping saw Bukima, Kabaya, and Kanombe villages fall
into the hands of the rebels, according to credible sources from both the M23 and FARDC troops. A source revealed to our reporter
on Wednesday evening that fighting also took place in other neighboring villages of
Nyesisi, Nkokwe, and Rubumba same grouping.
He says that after suffering defeat FARDC troops fled towards Goma city since the whole of Rumangabo is currently surrounded
by the rebels. The source says that the fighting forced
locals in the affected villages and their surroundings to flee to Rumangabo monument,
Katale, Bushenge, and Bugomba villages along the Goma-Rutshuru axis.
General Sultan Makenga, M23 Military leader on Wednesday confirmed in a brief tweet the capture of the three villages. Major Willy Ngoma, the M23 military spokesperson accused FARDC soldiers together with their
allies of NATURA militia and Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDRL)
rebels on Tuesday of attacking their position along Isoke and Iarisimbi road.
Ngoma said that M23 soldiers fought back
in self-defense.FARDC is yet to receive any statement about the resumed fighting. Heavy fighting between FARDC soldiers
and M23 rebels that broke out in March this year saw the rebels take over the Uganda-DR Congo border of
Bunagana and neighboring areas on June 13. The rebels raided the border forcing over 150 government troops to flee to Kisoro district. The fighting has since forced thousands of Congolese nationals to seek refuge in Kisoro and Rutshuru.