Breaking

Kamuli Woman Electrocuted

The deceased's neighbor, Betty Kafuko says that she only noticed Nabirye lying helpless on the ground. "I was cooking outside my room when i noticed Nabirye lying on the ground and a cloud of smoke hovering over the wires," she says.
A woman has been electrocuted in Kisozi town council in Kamuli district while hanging clothes on a clothesline. 25-year-old Sarah Nabirye was electrocuted on Sunday afternoon when the clothesline touched a loose electric cable.

The deceased's neighbor, Betty Kafuko says that she only noticed Nabirye lying helpless on the ground. "I was cooking outside my room when i noticed Nabirye lying on the ground and a cloud of smoke hovering over the wires," she says.

According to Kafuko, Nabirye was already dead by the time they turned off the main switch. Busoga North Police Spokesperson, Michael Kasadha says unknown individuals had illegally connected power within the area where Nabirye was killed.

Kasadha says detectives have launched a joint operation with Umeme to disconnect illegal power lines in Kisozi town council and its surrounding areas. The deceased’s body is lying at Kamuli General Hospital mortuary pending postmortem.

Illegal power connections kill dozens of Ugandans annually. However, most victims of electrocution are buried secretly for fear of reprisal from the authorities. 

For example in 2016, Trevor Kigenyi, the then Umeme Regional Manager for Bugisu told a meeting in Kampala that 10 people get electrocuted monthly in the region as they illegally tap into power supplies. 

Most of the residents declare the dead, victims of snake bites to avoid the law. 

Entities

Keywords