Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
40-Year Old Man Electrocuted In Jinja City :: Uganda Radionetwork

40-Year Old Man Electrocuted In Jinja City

Audio 1

A 40- year old Sam Nabusigo, a resident of Wanyange lake cell, in Northern division, in Jinja City has today been electrocuted while placing his clothing on a metallic line.

His neighbors told Uganda Radio Network (URN) that loose electric wires fell on the metallic line that Nabusigo was placing his clothes on before he was struck by electricity.

Police detectives and UMEME engineers have since inspected the scene of crime and the deceased has been taken to Jinja regional referral hospital’s mortuary, awaiting postmortem.

Viola Namusoke, a relative of the deceased says that electric lines within the area were exposed following persistent rains and they lacked the capacity to repair them. “Electric wires throughout the neighborhood have over the past two weeks become loose following persistent rains and I think it partly contributed to my uncle’s fatal accident,” she says.

Salim Mwase, another resident in the area says that some people in the area are still hooking wires onto the  high voltage power transmitting lines, which exposes them to electricity related accidents. “UMEME operatives disconnected power from all illegal elements however, most of our colleagues have continued to tap electricity directly from power transmitting lines," he says. 

Meanwhile Kiira region’s police spokesperson, James Mubi says that the accident resulted from illegal power connections within the area. Mubi adds that police alongside UMEME teams have embarked on sensitization drives aimed at enlightening masses on the risk factors resulting from illegal power connections.

//cue in: “we have been…

Cue out…illegal power connections.”//

Available police reports indicate that at least three people loose lives due to power thefts in Jinja district and Jinja city respectively. Hoowever, most of the electric circuit related deaths are never reported to responsible authorities.      

Support us