Armed Rustlers attack Karamoja Regional Minerals Inspectorate Office

16 Oct 2021 11:49

Karimojong cattle rustlers have for the second time attacked the office of the Karamoja regional inspectorate of mines located in Moroto Municipality.  

The attack on the mines office on Thursday night forced the regional inspector of mines Gerald Eneku to flee and hide himself in the pit latrine which is still under construction. 


Mr. Eneku uses a section of the office building as his accommodation due to shortage of accommodation in the town.


Eneku told URN that the rustlers armed with two guns accessed the premises by climbing over the fence.  

“I saw them peeping through the widow in my room, they were three of them and they were ordering me to come out so I managed to escape out via an emergency door and they didn’t see me,” he said.  

Mr. Eneku who has since left the area for Kampala said he will only return to work when the ministry of minerals deploys some security personnel to guard the premises. 


 According to Eneku, this is not the first time of armed rustlers attempting to attack him, saying that two month ago the warriors again gained access to the premises but luckily he was not around.


“We used to have police guards in the place but they were withdrawn for unstated  reason,” he said.


Patricia Nakongo, a neighbor to the office told URN that the rustlers every day pass around the mineral office when they are going for their missions.


“They move around that area all the time especially at night and I ask myself what they want in that office which does not even have a goat in the compound,” she said. 


The minerals office is located in the eastern part of Moroto Municipality, a distance of one kilometer from the main town.  


Mr. Michael Longole the Karamoja regional police spokesperson said the police are investigating the incident and called for calm.

He suspected the incident could have been may be over mineral fights and the aggrieved miners could be trying to express their desertification.   

“We have not yet arrested anyone person but we are already on ground following it we will give clear information to the public when we are done,” he said.