Breaking

DPP Seeks Extra Time to Respond to Bail Application for Katumba Wamala Suspects

According to the Prime suspect Yusuf Nyanzi, he is the sole bread winner at home where he has ten children and is not willing to interfere with investigations once released.
Yusuf Nyanzi in the middle

Audio 1



The  Directorate of Public Prosecutions has asked High Court Criminal Division to be granted more time to respond to an application in which two accused persons in the murder case of General Katumba Wamala's daughter and his driver are seeking to be released on bail.

The two are Sheikh Yusuf Siraji Nyanzi and Hussein Sserubula alias Imam Muto a herbalist and boda Boda rider respectively.

The two who were the first suspects to be arrested in connection to the June 1st 2021 murder of Katumba Wamala's daughter Brendah Nantongo Katumba and his driver Haruna Kayondo applied for bail about two weeks ago.

This was after they had been remanded to Kitalya Government's prison on the said murder charges and attempted murder of Katumba Wamala who survived with gunshot injuries. 

But through their lawyers from Wameli and Company Advocates, the two who have since been slapped with additional charges of attempting to murder Katumba Wamala's body guard Sargent Khaled Kuboit, by stander Boniface Mucunguzi  and with terrorism, asked to be released on bail pending the conclusion of their trial.

According to the Prime suspect Yusuf Nyanzi, he is the sole bread winner at home where he has ten children  and is not willing to interfere with investigations once released.

On his part , Sserubula told court that the charges against him are bailable by the High Court and that during the case hearing he will be able to present substantial sureties to qualify for the grant of bail.

However the parties had previously been directed to file in written submissions but the Prosecution did not.

Instead , when the parties reconvened today before the High Court Criminal Division Deputy  Registrar,  Festo Nsenga  in his chambers where the press didn't have access to, the Prosecution led by Joseph Kyomuhendo asked for more time.

According to the applicant's lawyer Geoffrey Turyamusiima, Kyomuhendo told the Registrar that he got the instructions on Friday last week to take over the matter in issue and therefore he needed more time for them to make an appropriate response as well as submissions  to the application.

//Cue in: "If we can...

Cue out: ... has granted them".//

The Registrar thus agreed with the Prosecution and gave them up to  Wednesday this week and directed that if there is any rejoinder, the applicants' lawyers should put it on court record before Friday then ruling  which will be given by the Presiding Judge Tadeo Asiimwe  will be on notice.

The two accused persons Nyanzi and Sserubula are part of a group of seven including five who  were charged and remanded last week by Nakawa Chief Magistrates Court over the same shooting.

The others are;  

Muhammad Kagugube alias Musiramu alias Mugisha alias Mbavumoja ,Kamada Walusimbi alias Mudinka ,Siriman Ayuub Kisambira alias Mukwasi Koja , Abdulaziz Ramathan Dunku  and Habib Ramanthan Marjan.

This group is yet to apply for bail.

####

Images 1

Keywords