Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /usr/www/users/urnnet/a/story.php on line 43
Electricity Sparks Leave Patients in Disarray in Soroti Hospital :: Uganda Radionetwork
Breaking

Electricity Sparks Leave Patients in Disarray in Soroti Hospital

Some of the affected patients were on life support, while others were undergoing blood transfusions and intravenous (IV) treatments. The sparks coincided with a drizzle that began around 10:00 pm on Wednesday night.
Patients lying in the open at Soroti Regional Referral Hospital after power shocks.

Audio 3

A sudden occurrence of electricity sparks at Soroti Regional Referral Hospital has left many patients in panic, particularly those in the Pediatrics Ward. The sparks, which occurred at around 11:00 pm, forced several patients and their attendants to sleep outside the ward, carrying their medical equipment, including cannulas, due to fears of a potential fire.

Some of the affected patients were on life support, while others were undergoing blood transfusions and intravenous (IV) treatments. The sparks coincided with a drizzle that began around 10:00 pm on Wednesday night. Grace Elwaju, a patient attendant from Komolo in Amuria district, says that the electricity sparks endangered the lives of her twin patients who were receiving IV treatment and blood transfusions in the ward. 

She was compelled to interrupt their treatment and evacuate the ward immediately. Elwaju also revealed that she lost her personal belongings, including clothes, kitchen items, and a phone, while fleeing from the ward.

//Cue in “Kwape ajaar eong…

Cue out…kalu kere toma.”//   

James Amanu, a resident of Kateta in Serere district, was attending to his daughter in the hospital when the electricity sparks occurred. He described a chaotic scene where attendants rushed towards the exits and windows in an attempt to evacuate the ward.

Amanu recounted how he had to continue administering IV treatment to his daughter outside the ward, holding the drip throughout the night, as he was reluctant to return due to safety concerns. He says that one patient in the ward lost their life during the incident.

//cue in “Ijai isio toma…

Cue out…akim na onokuna.”//

Benzy Omoya, the Principal Hospital Administrator of Soroti, attributed the electricity sparks to ongoing construction work, which exposed some electrical wires. He said that the situation was swiftly contained, preventing any damage to the wards or medical equipment. 

Regarding the patient who passed away, Omoya explained that the timing was coincidental and unrelated to the electricity sparks. He disclosed that the patient had been suffering from sickle cell disease, and her condition had already deteriorated before the incident occurred. 

//Cue in “This fire was…

Cue out…so nothing burnt.”//   

At the time of reporting, some patients were still outside the ward, while others had returned to continue their treatments. Several patient attendants expressed their concerns, stating that this was not the first time such electricity sparks had caused disarray in the hospital and called for immediate attention to address the recurring issue.