Properties worth millions of shillings were on Sunday night burnt to ashes in a fire incident that gutted hotel Pan Afric in Lira town.
The fire that broke out at around 11:15 pm on Sunday reportedly is believed to have been sparked of by electricity power irregularity at the hotel.
Back view of the burnt hotel.
Fire has reduced to ash property worth millions of shillings at Pan Afric hotel in Lira town. The fire broke out at around 11:15pm on Sunday night. Bonny Oleny, a guard at Panic Afric hotel says the fire started from the kitchen near the electricity meter box as a result of unstable power supply.
Oleny says he was prompted to notify the owner of the hotel, who also informed police after he saw smoke on the roof of the building. Geoffrey Odyek, a resident and neighbor to Pan Afric hotel says their attempts to put out the fire with water didn’t yield any results. Sadrack Olet Eyak, the proprietor Panic Afric Hotel says that the fire destroyed furniture, kitchen equipment amongst others.
Olet says his attempts to rescue his property were crippled because K-Fire, a private fire fighting group which he had arrived late at the scene. Manshur Suwed, the North Kyoga regional Police spokesman says police was notified of the incident but there was very little they could do because they don’t have a fire tender.
Last year, property worth millions of shillings was destroyed by fire at Kitgum Stage police post in Lira town.