Breaking

Fire Guts Students Hostel in Makerere Kikoni

Moses Chilla, a first-year student of Bachelor of Social Sciences at Makerere University told URN that he was forced out of his room on the ground floor, by thick smoke and noise from the neighbours who were asking students to vacate the hostel. Chilla added that fire could not be contained by the use of fire extinguishers.
Front view of Frama Hostel along Sir Apollo Kaggwa road in Makerere Kikoni

Audio 5

A number of student rooms and properties have been razed by a fire that gutted Frama Hostel in Kikoni, this afternoon.  Eyewitnesses say the fire started a few minutes to one O’clock on Sunday, destroying part of the structure located along Sir Apollo Kaggwa Road, on the outskirts of Makerere University.  

Moses Chilla, a first-year student of Bachelor of Social Sciences at Makerere University told URN that he was forced out of his room on the ground floor, by thick smoke and noise from the neighbours who were asking students to vacate the hostel.  Chilla added that fire could not be contained by the use of fire extinguishers.      

“By the time we realized it was burning, fire extinguishers could not help. It needed something more than that. We started fighting it using water from these tanks but it was still not making sense. And in about 40 minutes, police firefighters came in,” one of the students said.    

//Cue in; “We were playing music… 

Cue out…increasingly burning.”//      

The hostel was due to close on Monday, June 3, after the end of the semester at Makerere University.  But some of the students said they were due to report to the university for the recess term.   

Angella Kabitanya, a second-year student of Agribusiness at Makerere University says she was suffocating from the upper floor until the police came to their rescue.  According to Kabitanya, they struggled to escape the fire due to the heat and thick smoke that moved from the lower floors where they were supposed to pass.       

//Cue in; “I saw a lot of smoke…  

Cue out: …no one has died.”//       

Everest Nicholas Lopio a third-year student at Makerere University said several of his properties were burnt beyond repair.      

//Cue in; “I am a third-year student…  

Cue out…I can’t just take them.”//        

John Baptist Male Salongo, the proprietor of Frama Hostel said the majority of the students had left for holidays while others were preparing to move.   He says however he was preparing to receive students studying recess at Makerere University.      

He told URN that the fire did not leave immense damage apart from burning down the room in which it started and one hostel store.       

Luganda//Cue in; “Omulilo gwokezza first floor…   

Cue out: …ababadde bajja.”//       

He says he suspects that a student in whose room fire started could have left some appliances running on power.       

Luganda //Cue in; “Yandibadde elimu abaana  

Cue out…negukwaata nebweeru.”//      

Located west of Makerere University, the mixed student's hostel has a capacity of 170 student residents.