Luke Owoyesigire, the Kampala Metropolitan Area Deputy Spokesperson, says that preliminary investigations by the Police Fire and Rescue Services indicate that the fire started from a house where fuel had been stored.
The fire that gutted over 300
temporary structures and shops in Ndese landing site in Entebbe municipality on
Sunday could have started from fuel stored in one of the houses,
according to the Uganda Police Force
The fire broke out on Kigungu
village, which is less
than ten kilometers from Entebbe International Airport on December 5th leaving
close to 700 fishermen and traders
out in the cold. Luke Owoyesigire, the Kampala Metropolitan Area
Deputy Spokesperson, says that preliminary
investigations by the Police Fire and Rescue Services indicate that the fire started from a
house where fuel had been stored.
//Cue in: "It
Cue out:...to spread faster."//
According to Owoyesigire, people dealing in fuel should ensure they are
operating legally and store fuels safely to help prevent fires in the future. He says that that investigation is still ongoing to determine the owner and operators of the structure that
was housing the illegal fuel.
Fishermen and boat operators have
been using the illegal fuels to operate speed boats on Lake Victoria and to
various routes including Buwaya, Bussi island, and Kalangala among other areas. Firemen from Entebbe main police station and
Uganda Civil Aviation Authority-UCAA managed to put out the fire after two
says that putting out the fire was difficult because the structures were
very close to each other. However, some of the residents blame the police
for responding late and demanding the already distressed fishermen and traders facilitate
Robert Kiggundu the chairperson of Uganda Red
Cross Society Entebbe Branch,
says volunteers will make a full assessment on the impact of
the fire. The report will guide the organization, authorities, and well-wishers
on how to help the affected people.
But it is evident that several houses were razed
Entebbe Town Clerk, Michael Kakembo, the
Entebbe Municipality MP, and Entebbe mayor, Fabrice Rulinda were among the officials who
visited the landing site on Monday.
Kakembo wants the Office of the Prime Minister, the general public,
local leaders, and technocrats to donate relief items to the affected people. “Many structures, boats, fishing nets, engines
were destroyed and hundreds of families were left without shelter. So, we
call upon the disaster preparedness office to come to the rescue of these
people because they don’t even have what to eat right now,” he said.
Richard Ssekyondo, the chairperson of Division B in Entebbe
municipality, agrees, saying "there is nothing left at the landing
site and right they are still
perturbed as leaders because close to 1,000 people do not have where to
He says Ndese landing site is home to several
traders, fishermen, and people who the army relocated from the "floating
islands" of Makusa and Lyamuya nearly four years ago.
Ssekyondo says the affected people are stranded
because they hardly have anywhere else to stay since the army has occupied Makusa and Lyamuya
of the affected people spoke to the media about their plight and want the
government and other well-meaning individuals and institutions to come to their
Deogratius Puwata, the Executive Director of
Disability Community for Humanity-DCH in Entebbe, says over 15 persons living
with disabilities were also