Hundreds of people seeking employment in the district have reportedly been conned by the district officials who demand for money from the applicants promising to help them secure jobs in the various departments in the district. But even after extorting money from them, the applicants do not appear on the shortlist.
Some of the Kikuube Councilors signing a Censure motion against the three members of the executive over alleged corruption and extortion before the clerk to Council last Thursday.Photo by Emmanuel Okello.
Several government officials and politicians in Kikuube are
being investigated over alleged extortion and corruption in the recruitment of
Hundreds of people seeking employment in the district have
been conned by the district officials.
The officials demand for money ranging from 500,000 to 1,000,000 from the applicants
promising to help them secure jobs in the various departments in the district.
Worse of it, even after extorting money from the applicants, they (applicants)
do not appear on the shortlist.
Amlan Tumusiime, the Kikuube Resident District
Commissioner-RDC has confirmed to URN that many politicians, senior government
officials and some members of the district service commission are being probed
for their alleged involvement in extortion and corruption.
He says several complaints have been tabled before his
office pinning the officials whose particulars have been concealed for fear of
Tumusiime says his office has petitioned the state House
Anti-corruption unit who has since taken up the matter and is currently
investigating the matter.
Tumusiime, adds that the Chairperson of the public service
Commission recently wrote to the Kikuube chief administrative officer-CAO over
the same issue after several complaints had been raised against some officials in the district.
//cue in;”The public service… //
Cue out:…the right job.”//
A source from state House Anti-corruption Unit who spoke to
URN on condition of anonymity says it is true several Kikuube district
officials are being investigated on various offenses including extortion and
“It is true some of the district officials are being
investigated by our Unit and some of them have already recorded statements with
us at the state House Anti-corruption Unit,” the source said.
Andrew Milton Kamalingin, the Kikuube Chief Administrative
officer-CAO says the matter is under investigation but declined to provide more
Francis Kazini, the Buhaguzi main Member of parliament says
it is a shame that Kikuube that started recently is on the list of the most
corrupt districts. He wants the state house anti-corruption unit to expedite
investigations into the matter so that the culprits are apprehended and serious
action taken against them.
//cue in;some of us…//
Cue out:…as a district.”//
On Thursday last week, a section of district councilors in
Kikuube tabled a motion to censure three members of the District Executive Committee-DEC
over allegations of corruption, extortion and forgery.
The motion to censure Vincent Alpha Opio, the district
Vice-Chairperson, Everce Munguriek, the Secretary for works, and Nicholas Kiiza,
the Secretary for Production and natural resources was moved by Ruth Kobusinge,
the district female councilor for Buhimba sub-county during a council sitting
at the district headquarters.
According to Kobusinge, the members have been collecting
money from applicants applying for various jobs in the district promising to
help them secure jobs in vain.
She said they have received several complaints
from members of the public pinning the trio for extorting money from them in
exchange for jobs.
However the trio has denied the allegations leveled against them saying they are aimed at tarnishing their image before the public.
Vincent Alpha Opio, the Kikuube LC5 Vice Chairperson who is also being over accused for alleged extortion says he is not worried about the censure motion tabled against them by the councilors saying it is a move by the Kikuube RDC to have them chased from the executive.
//cue in;"Iam not worried...//
cue out:...in the district."//
Tumusiime has however distanced himself from any vendetta saying he has never influenced the Councilors to table censure motion against the trio.