Between 1993 and 1996, hundreds of people from Arua and other districts in West Nile were killed, injured and their properties destroyed. However, 20 years down the road they have not been compensated by the government.
the Lords Resistance Army-LRA insurgency in West Nile have resolved to revive the
case in which they are demanding compensation from the government over losses
incurred during the insurgency.
Between 1993 and 1996, hundreds of people from Arua and other districts in West
Nile were killed, injured and their properties destroyed. However, 20 years
down the road they have not been compensated by the government.
who are mostly traders had given the government up to November 30 2021 to
respond to their demands. In March 2021, through Alaka and
Company Advocates, the victims dragged
the government of Uganda to court but later decided to withdraw the case and
decided to resolve the matter outside court with the government.
a team of officials from State House and the Chieftaincy of Military
Intelligence led by Maj. Aggrey Mworozi was in the region to verify documents
of the victims in preparation for compensation.
However, the victims say up to now they haven’t received any information from
Alex Matua, the chairperson of West Nile LRA war victims says that the failure
by the government to comply has left them with no option other than reviving
According to Matua, the insurgency greatly affected the growth of the West Nile
region as it directly impacted the livelihood of the people such as
businessmen, and educationists among others.
// Cue in; “
We went to court…
Cue out… with
Samuel Ondoma, the Lawyer representing the victims equally disclosed that they
have agreed to revive the case after the expiry of the November deadline.
Ondoma says he has already prepared the necessary documents and he fill a
direct suit in court against the government next week.
given the government until November last year to make sure that this matter is
settled peacefully. These people’s going to the court is the last option
because they are pro-government, a reason they have been pushing for dialogue
in the last 20 years, " Ondoma said.
The Arua Resident
City Commissioner Alice Akello appealed to the victims to reconsider their
decision saying the government is committed to fulfilling its pledge.
Formed in 2008, the association is a group of businessmen and women who lost
their properties along Pakwach-Karuma road during the LRA insurgency from 1996
to the early 2000s.
The victims are seeking compensation of shillings 99 billion from the
government for the losses they incurred during the LRA insurgency in
In 2020, the
victims resolved to mobilize voters against the ruling NRM candidates in
protest if their compensation is not paid.