Magistrate Awarded Shs200m in Compensation

Magistrate awarded two hundred and forty million shillings for injuries he sustained while on duty.
06 Oct 2015 18:22
The High Court in Kampala has awarded Magistrate John Patrick Wekesa over two hundred million shillings compensation for injuries sustained while resolving a land boundary dispute in Pallisa district eight years ago.



Justice Stephen Musota in a ruling today said the government failed to provide the magistrate with enough security at the time he was performing his duty.




 Justice Musota observed that Magistrate John Patrick Wekesa had become 80% disabled following the unfortunate incident. He said the disability sustained was high requiring reasonable compensation.


He awarded the victim one hundred and twenty million shillings as general damages, seventy two million shillings as workman's compensation and a six percent interest from the date of bringing the total award to two hundred and forty two million shillings.



As a result of the attack, the injured magistrate, John Patrick Wekesa has uncontrolled flow of mucus, amputated right and left hand fingers.  He also had three upper hand fingers cut off.  His injured fingers are joined with metals and are paralysed.


Other injuries that he sustained as a result of the attack include; back pain, nerve paralysis and damaged salivary gland.


Wekesa was injured in 2007 while handling land dispute in a civil suit involving Dome Samwiri and others Vs Pulkol in Kamuge village in Pallisa district.


But while the magistrate was talking to the parties, one of the aggrieved persons attacked and hacked him with a panga leaving him nearly dead.


 The police officer, who was supposed to guard the magistrate during the boundary fixing, was about 40 metres away and by the time the police officer ran to rescue the magistrate, he had sustained serious injuries.


The Attorney General had in his submissions claimed that the over two hundred million shillings that the magistrate was demanding for was exorbitant given that he was able to resume his judicial duties and is able to earn a monthly salary.


 The magistrate was not present in court when the judgment was being read but was represented by one of his lawyers Allan Kikwe.