Michael Kilegeya, a resident within the area says that the children’s parents left about a week ago, living them under the care of neighbors who ensured their well-being and it was shocking how one of them suffocated to death.
Police in Busoga east are investigating circumstances under
which nine-year-old, Halid Kakaina, a resident of Busiimba village, in Nambale
sub county, in Iganga district suffocated to death during the night on Sunday.
It is reported that the victim's parents had gone to visit their distant
relatives early last week, living their children under the care of neighbors.
Kakaina is reported to have lit a candle, which torched both
the mattress and the mosquito net, producing huge volumes of smoke and
suffocating him to death.
Kakaina’s sister, Shalom Namukose says that her brother insisted
on spending the night in the house, but he delayed waking up, prompting them
to forcefully break into the house, only to notice his lifeless body near the
“Kakaina delayed to wake up yet we were meant to head for school this Monday
morning and on rallying neighbors to forcefully open the door, we recovered his
lifeless body lying on the floor,” she says.
Michael Kilegeya, a resident within the area says that the children’s parents left about a week ago, living them under the care of
neighbors who ensured their well-being and it was shocking how one of them suffocated
Kilegeya adds that, on opening the house, they sighted
visible traces of smoke all over the house’s ventilators and three burnt-out candles in Kakaina’s bedroom, raising suspicion that, he suffocated to
//cue in: “omuzaile… //
Cue out…aye tiyayiile,”
Meanwhile Busoga East’s police spokesperson, Diana Nandawula
says that the deceased has been taken to Iganga general hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.
Nanadawula further reminded parents to train their
children with life skills, which will enable them to ensure safety at all