Eyewitnesses say that the fire that started at around 12:30 p.m. is suspected to have been caused by sparks from welding activities on the roof of one of the kiosks in the parking lot of the National Theatre.
Police in Kampala have arrested a metal
welder following a fire that gutted one of the kiosks in the precincts of the National Theatre.
Eyewitnesses say that the fire that started at
around 12:30 p.m. is suspected to have been caused by sparks from welding activities on the roof of one of the kiosks in the parking lot of the National Theatre.
David Nsimbe, one of the businessmen in the area, says that he first saw a welder running past him with
a bleeding arm shortly before the fire spread. He suspects that the fire was caused by sparks that landed on the grass thatched kiosk next to where the activity was taking place.
//Cue in; “Bye babadde b’okya…
Cue out…bweziti byona
Sarah Nakigozi, another eyewitness recalls that the theatre’s chief electrician
attempted to stop the activity but gave up when the welders insisted.
//Cue in; “Tulina electrician…
Cue out…ye n’agenda.”//
Nuwa Wamala Nnyanzi, the Vice-Chairperson
of the National Arts Cultural Crafts Association of Uganda, says that
the fire was contained before spreading to the arts and crafts village
where most of the materials are highly flammable;
//Cue in; “And the fire…
Cue out...a lot of damage.”//
However, Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Luke Oweyesigire says that the suspect Vincent Sanjo was arrested last evening to aid police investigations.