Breaking

Police Investigates NFA Officers Over Bugoma Forest Shooting

Top story
Deo Obura, the Albertine Region Police Commander-RPC, says Mawa’s body was recovered on Saturday last week. According to Obura, the NFA officers shot the deceased on June 25, 2019 when they found him together with nine others reportedly cutting trees in the forest.
Deo Obura, the Albertine Regional Police commander speaking to Uganda Radio Network.

Audio 1

Police are investigating National Forestry Authority-NFA enforcement officers accused of shooting dead a man in Bugoma Central forest reserve in Kyangwali Sub County in Kikuube district. 

The deceased is 33- year-old, Richard Mawa, a resident of Nzorobi Village in Kabaale Parish in Buseruka Sub County in Hoima district. Deo Obura, the Albertine Region Police Commander-RPC, says Mawa’s body was recovered on Saturday last week. 

According to Obura, the NFA officers shot the deceased on June 25, 2019 when they found him together with nine others reportedly cutting trees in the forest.   

//Cue in: ”Am reliably informed…  

Cue out:…Informed about it.:”//.    

He says the group had been contracted by Amooti Kiiza, a prominent businesswoman in Hoima to carry her timber from the forest reserve to the roadside for transportation to Hoima town. 

Obura says that before the group could carry the timber, they were surrounded by NFA officers who started firing at them. Mawa was hit in the stomach killing him instantly. His colleagues managed to get away.  

Obura says the postmortem carried out of the deceased’s body shows that he succumbed to the gunshot wounds as a result of excessive bleeding. Obura says they are investigating implicated NFA officials who participated in the operation that led to Mawa’s death. 

The Kisindi Sector NFA Manager, Alex Obonyo told URN that he wasn’t aware of any operation conducted on the day Mawa was shot dead. 

Images 1

Keywords