Police on High Alert Ahead of Bobi Wine's Return

The Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson, Luke Owoyesigyire, says any person found participating in the illegal procession or assembly will face the law.
Military Police, police on a patrol vehicle

Audio 1

Police officers at all units in Kampala Metropolitan are on high alert in anticipation of chaos head of the return of the Kyadondo East Member of Parliament, Robert Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine. 

Bobi Wine is expected to return to the country on Thursday afternoon from the United States of America (USA) where he had gone for medical treatment.


As result, Kampala Metropolitan Regional and Divisional Commanders have been holding meetings since Monday to plan the deployment plan for policing the return where more than 1000 people are anticipated to flock Entebbe Road.



A reliable police source told URN on condition of anonymity that the meetings resolved to use Anti-Riot police backed by Military Police as the first line of deployment along Entebbe Road, Kampala Central Business District, Kamwokya and Kasangati.

The highest level of manpower is to be put on the Kampala Entebbe Highway where people may gather to see Bobi Wine. The artist cum politicians has been mobilising people through social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook to pick him from the airport.


However police, say Bobi Wine hasn't sought any clearance to hold a procession or an assembly in line with the Public Order Management Act.

The Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson, Luke Owoyesigyire, says any person found participating in the illegal procession or assembly will face the law.


//Cue in: "There is no ...

Cue out: ... be arrested."//


Bobi Wine has accused some people he didn't mention of printing 20,000 red t-shirts marked 'People Power' with intentions to stir chaos on his return. However, Owoyesigyire says they haven't received a formal complaint in regard to the allegations made by Bobi Wine in a video posted in his Facebook page.



Bobi Wine has been in the USA for the last 18 days. He was cleared to travel for medical attention on August 31st, 2018 after undergoing medical examination to fill a police Form 3 in support of his torture claims against operatives from the Special Force Command (SFC), which guards the President.

The legislator claims that he was brutally tortured during arrest at Pacific Hotel in Arua on the final day of the Arua Municipality MP by-election campaigns.

He was arraigned before the General Court Martial sitting in Gulu District for illegal possession of fire arms, a charge that was later withdrawn. He was again re-arrested and charged at Gulu Magistrate Court with treason together with 32 other suspects and remanded to Prison for one week before being granted bail.

He was picked up by an Ambulance shortly after his release and transferred to Lubaga Hospital where he asked to go abroad for further medication.

He was picked up by police at Entebbe Airport and brought to Mulago National Refferal Hospital - Kiruddu to undergo medical examination for the police form 3.

Bobi Wine has held several press conferences and appeared on various international television stations and held mass with Ugandans living in Boston in the last 18 days he has been away from the country.

Images 2