Speaking to URN on condition of anonymity, one of those who completed their quarantine after returning from Saudi Arabia on July 28, said that a number of those who had been issued with discharge certificates and declared COVID-19 free have been recalled.
Residents at the Grand Global Hotel, one of the gazetted COVID-19 quarantine centres are in panic after some of the returnees who had left the centre upon the elapse of their 14-days minoring were returned.
Speaking to URN on condition of anonymity, one of those who completed their quarantine after returning from Saudi Arabia on July 28, said that several people, among those who had been issued with discharge certificates and declared COVID-19 free, have been recalled.
The source said that they were told that three people, among them, had tested positive. He said the three were picked by surveillance officers from Kampala City Council Authority (KCCA).
//Cue in; “Kuba munange embeera...
Cue out... babakomezawo bukomya.”//
But Dr Richard Walyomo, who heads the surveillance team referred us to the Ministry of Health, under whose command, the Ministry of Health is. He, however, added that when surveillance teams evacuate positive cases from such places, they are supposed to go back and line list their likely contacts who are tested twice at the 5th day and again on the 13th day to rule out any infection.
This hasn’t happened yet at the Makerere Kikoni based hotel, according to a source at the facility. He explains that they haven’t heard or seen any health worker or ministry official since their samples were taken on the elapse of their initial 14-days, on Monday.
//Cue in; “Abasawo nebagenda…
Cue out… kati tuli awo.”//
MOH Senior Public Relations Officer Emmanuel Ainebyoona told URN on Sunday that the head of quarantine centres Dr Richard Mugahi had visited although he couldn’t divulge details about the incident. According to the MOH, currently, 25 per cent of positives picked in recent days come from Quarantine centres which they say is a good sign that they have put controls to stop injections.
Mugahi had said in an earlier meeting that with the new guidelines that came up following the errors done with the initial people to be quarantined in March and April, they only collaborate with those hotels that have CCTV camera's in the corridors such that they can periodically monitor any likely movements within the facility.
Earlier the ministry had been put on the spot over irregularities in quarantine centres ranging from non-communication, incorrect history taking, issuing mixed results as well as misspelt names, incorrect gender when certificates are issued. But, Mugahi had told URN in an earlier interview that this grim picture has since changed.
However, according to results released yesterday by the Ministry of Health of the 49 positives, 4 were picked from quarantine centres whereby one was a returnee from the US and the three from Saudi Arabia.