Residents of Kisenyi in Kampala are counting losses after a fire gutted several houses
in Kakajjo Zone.
The fire which broke out on Tuesday is suspected to have been caused by an abandoned
charcoal stove. It spread to a timber workshop, shops, and several houses, destroying property such as mattresses, fridges, Television sets among other
Godfrey Kakande, the LCI Chairperson Kakajjo zone, this was the third time fire
has destroyed property in their area.
// Cue in; “bakkutila eyo ...
Cue out; …era byali yo” //
Martin Malinga a resident says that 700,000 Shillings he had borrowed from the
SACCO for school fees was burnt.
//Cue in; “mbadde nazijayo mu…
Cue out: “…nsevinge kubanga”//
Lulu who sells local brew says that she lost 300,000 Shillings that
she had kept in the shop. She says that she tried to save her property in vain.
John Lokwi who lost beds says that the fire brigade police could hardly get to
the scene due to poor and narrow roads, leaving the affected residents with no
choice but to put out the fire in the possible ways they could.
// Cue in;
Cue out: “…could have got burnt”//
Joseph Yiga says that he lost his entire stock worth 7 Million Shillings in the
fire. He says that by the time he rushed to his shop, it was too late to save anything.
resident who owns a drinking joint in the area says that she lost more than 3
million shillings and all her stock in the fire. Her house which also doubled
as a grocery was reduced to ash.
On Wednesday, the residents had started
reconstructing their stalls and kiosks that were gutted by fire.
Radio Network reporter visited the area, it had been graded and traders were
busy trying to locate the space where their stalls stood before the fire. Some
vendors had started demarcating space to reconstruct their stalls, while others
had started reconstruction.