With the possibility of the phased reopening of educational institutions, several school heads and Richard Abura, the Deputy Headteacher Nakasero primary school, says that although the proposed time for reopening schools is drawing closer there is nothing they can do because of budget constraints.
With the possibility
of the phased reopening of educational institutions, several school heads and proprietors
have embarked on preliminary preparations to avoid being caught off-guard when
the official pronouncement is made.
Initial reports indicated that the government was making arrangements to reopen schools on September 20
beginning with candidates and finalist classes. However, the government is yet to
issue an official pronouncement and guidance to that effect. This, however, hasn’t stopped schools from preparing
for the anticipated reopening.
Godfrey Kimbugwe, the deputy headteacher Hormisdallen Primary School in Kamwokya,
says that the Directorate of Education Standards has been engaging them in workshops
to discuss what they must put in place if they are to reopen.
“During those workshops, they talked about the need to have handwashing facilities, temperature guns and quarantine areas where a
teacher or pupil suspected to have the disease (COVID-19) can be put before
being referred,” he said.
Adding that, “We are trying to put up
everything on the checklist to get ready for the reopening.” The situation was
no different in other schools visited by our reporter. At Kazo Primary School
and City Side College Makerere, our reporter found causal labourers cleaning compounds
that have been unattended to for the last six months.
Crispus Kazibwe, the deputy headteacher at Summit Primary School in Kawempe, says the preparations are long
overdue should, schools reopen on the said dates. Nonetheless,
he adds, they will use the available time to fulfil the set requirements.
//Cue in; “We have been...
Cue out...Spacious Environment.”//
In addition to general preparations, Kazibwe says that they have also summoned
teachers to start preparing themselves. “We have put them on alert and we
expect them to report as soon as the government announces the reopening,” he
some of the schools have decided to wait for the government announcement. A teacher
at Emma High School in Kyebando said they will stay put until a formal
government pronouncement on reopening of schools is made.
are yet to embark on preparations for reopening citing the unavailability
of funds to put in place some of the necessary requirements. Richard
Abura, the Deputy Headteacher Nakasero primary school, says that although the proposed
time for reopening schools is drawing closer there is nothing they can do
because of budget constraints.
//Cue in; “When the government comes...
Cue out... the cost of utility.”//
Last week, Education Minister, Janet Kataha Museveni wrote to her finance
counterpart requesting him to release school capitation grants. The Finance Ministry had stopped releasing the funds to all educational institutions during
The Federation of Non-State Education Institutions has tasked government to
expedite the promised stimulus package so that it helps them prepare for
reopening to avoid shifting the financial burden to parents. Patrick Kaboyo,
the FENEI National Secretary he also wants the government to pronounce itself on
the proposed reopening to avoid last-minute confusion.
//Cue in; “If funds...
Cue out...remain closed? No.”//
Last month, the Ministry of Education issued tentative Standard Operating Procedures-SOPs
for educational institutions. However, there are unconfirmed reports indicating
that the ministry is preparing fresh SOPs taking into account the available
For example, the tentative SOPs
had suggested that each class should comprise between 10 to 15 learners, which
some educationists said wasn’t feasible given the available infrastructure and
the number of teachers.