Breaking

Petrol Seller's Daughter Burnt to Death

The LC 1 Chairman of Kacwampa village Matia Ssekamatte said that Nantongo suffocated to death today at around 10;45am after the fire gutted their house.


Shock gripped family and residents of Kacwampa village in Luwero district on Friday morning when a toddler died in a fire which was a result of petrol sold at a home.

The deceased has been identified as Bushira Nantongo who is less than a year. The injured are Abed Ssentongo aged three years and Lazaro Nvugwa aged 45 years.

The toddler has been living with her mother Shakira Namuyiga who has been selling petrol at Kacwampa trading center in Katikamu sub county.

The LC 1 Chairman of Kacwampa village Matia Ssekamatte said that Nantongo suffocated to death today at around 10;45am after the fire gutted their house.

Ssekamatte explains that the fire broke up when the mother lit a charcoal stove near the jerrycan of petrol which exploded. Namuyiga was selling fuel in the trading center.

He adds that Namuyiga tried to put out the fire in vain and run to neighbors for help but by the time they arrived, Nantongo had suffocated to death.

Ssekamatte said that the residents however managed to save Ssentongo and he has since been rushed to Bombo Military hospital for treatment.

“In the process of putting out the fire, another resident Nvugwa also sustained fire burns and was rushed to Orient clinic for treatment,” Ssekamatte said.

By the time of compiling the report, police officers from Sekamuli Police Post had arrived at the scene and were still recording statements.

The deceased's body which was partly burnt was still lying in the house amidst shock from residents and the mother.

Living Twazagye the Luwero District Police Commander confirmed the incident but said he was still waiting for a report from officers on the ground.

According to Police crime report, a total of 1,258 fire cases were last reported to Police compared to 1,015 cases registered in 2020.

According to the report, 272 fire cases were attributed to negligence, followed by an electrical short circuit with 186 incidents and charcoal/candle wax with 164 cases among others.

Residential houses were most affected by the fires with 364 incidents followed by makeshift structures with 273 incidents and commercial buildings with 168 cases.

Entities

Keywords