Kitgum LCV Chairperson Jackson Omona says that they have received a team from the office of the Solicitor General that will work jointly with sub-county community development officers and sub-county chiefs to verify the claimants.
The government has embarked on the verification of war claimants
in Kitgum district for compensation over the loss of their livestock and
properties destroyed during various insurgencies in Northern Uganda.
Kitgum LCV Chairperson Jackson Omona says that they have received
a team from the office of the Solicitor General that will work jointly with sub-county
community development officers and sub-county chiefs to verify the claimants.
According to Omona, the district has a list of 1,463 claimants who
were partially paid and some that had not been compensated at all.
//Cue in: “I have received…..
Cue out: …beginning Monday”//
//Cue in: “anwongo waraga…..
Cue out: …me Kitgum”//
Martin Anyalla, a representative of the claimants in Kitgum
district says the verification process that starts on Monday will involve a
public display of all intended claimants at their respective sub-county and
division headquarters. Anyalla explains that the verification process
requires that each claimant possesses a letter of recommendation from their
area LCI Chairperson, a national identity card and letters of administrations
for the claimants who died.
He, however, could not reveal when the compensation claimants will
start receiving payments but says once the verification exercise is completed,
they will forward the details to the government to process payment for the
Omona, however, says each of the claimants will also be expected to
open a bank account where the government would make direct payments to the
beneficiaries contrary to the previous payment through the association of the
//Cue in: “it is also…..
Cue Out: …the association’’//
Reverend Canon Samuel Obol, a claimant says they are excited about
//Cue in: “jo ma yang……
Cue out: ….gu nong Kony”//
Last month while campaigning in the Acholi Sub-region last month,
President Museveni pledged that government had committed 150 Billion Shillings towards
compensation of war claimants from Acholi, Teso and Lango sub-regions before
the end of the 2020/2021 financial year.